Part I Reading Comprehension (30%) Directions: There are three passages in this part. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. You should decide on the best choice。
Too often young people get themselves employed quite by accident, not knowing what lies in the way of opportunity for promotion, happiness and security. As a result, they are employed doing jobs that afford them little or no satisfaction. Our school leavers face so much competition that they seldom care what they do as long as they can earn a living. Some stay long at a job and learn to like it; others quit from one to another looking for something to suit them. The young graduates who leave the university look for jobs that offer a salary up to their expectation.
Very few go out into the world knowing exactly what they want and realizing their own abilities. The reason behind all this confusion is that there never has been a proper vocational guidance in our educational institution. Nearly all grope (摸索) in the dark and their chief concern when they look for a job is to ask what salary is like. They never bother to think whether they are suited for the job or , even more important, weather the job suits them. Having a job is more than merely providing yourself and your dependants with daily bread and some money for leisure and entertainment. It sets a pattern of life and , in many ways, determines social status in life, selection of friends, leisure and interest. In choosing a career you should first consider the type of work which will suit your interest. Nothing is more pathetic than taking on a job in which you have no interest, for it will not only discourage your desire to succeed in life but also ruin your talents and ultimately make you an emotional wreck (受到严重伤害的人) and a bitter person.
1. The reason why some people are unlikely to succeed in life is that they________.
A have ruined their talents
B have taken on an unsuitable job
C think of nothing but their salary
D are not aware of their own potential
2. The difficulty in choosing a suitable job lies in that________.
A much competition has to be faced
B many employees have no working experience
C the young people only care about how much they can earn
D schools fail to offer students appropriate vocational guidance
细节题。第二段提到“The reason behind all this confusion is that there never has been a proper vocational guidance in our educational institution．”可见，大学生之所以在找工作时有很多误区，原因主要在于学校未能提供就业方面的培训和指导。
3. Which of the following statements is most important according to the passage?
A Your job must suit your interest.
B Your job must set a pattern of life.
C Your job must offer you a high salary.
D Your job must not ruin your talent.
细节题。第三段的首句说“In choosing a career you should first consider the type of work which will suit your interest．”其中的first与题干中的the most important为同义改写。
4. The best title for this passage would be________.
A What Can A Good Job Offer
B Earning A Living
C Correct Attitude on Job-hunting
D How to Choose A Job
5. The word "pathetic" in paragraph 2 most probably means________.
词汇题。根据“Nothing is more pathetic than taking on a job in which you have no interest，”我们可以判断pathetic应该表示贬义，因此答案就只能从B和C中选择；其次，根据后面的两个动词“discourage”和“ruin”，我们就可以确定答案为B。pathetic此处意为“糟糕的，差劲的”。
The advantages and disadvantages of a large population have long been a subject of discussion among economists (经济学家). It has been argued that the supply of good land is limited. To feed a large population, inferior land must be cultivated and the good land worded intensively. Thus , each person produces less and this means a lower average income than could be obtained with a smaller population. Other economists have argued that a large population gives more scope for specialization and the development of facilities such as ports, roads and railways, which are not likely to be built unless there is a big demand to justify them.
One of the difficulties in carrying out a world—wide birth control program lies in the fact that official attitudes to population growth vary from country to country depending on the level of industrial development and the availability of food and raw materials. In the developing country where a vastly expanded population is pressing hard upon the limits of food, space and natural resources, it will be the first concern of government to place a limit on the birthrate, whatever the consequences may be. In the highly industrialized society the problem may be more complex. A decreasing birth rate may lead to unemployment because it results in a declining market for manufactured goods. When the pressure of population on housing declines, prices also decline and the building industry is weakened. Faced with considerations such as these, the government of a developed country may well prefer to see a slowly increasing population, rather than one which is stable or in decline.
6. A smaller population may mean_________.
A higher productivity, but a lower average income
B lower productivity, but a higher average income
C lower productivity, and a lower average income
D higher productivity, and a higher average income
本题考查的是考生对细节的把握。见第一段，人口多时“each person produces less and this means a lower average income…”人口相对少时情况相反。因此D选项符合题意。A、B和C选项均不符合题意。
7. According to the passage, a large population will provide a chance for developing_________.
B transport system
D national economy
本题考查的是考生对具体句子意思的把握。见第一段最后一句，“Other economists have argued that a large population gives more scope for specialization and the development of facilities such as ports，roads and railways，which are not likely to be built unless there is a big demand to justify them。”依据这句话，举例“roads and railways”提示我们选“transport system”。概括成B选项。其余选项文中找不到根据。
8. In a developed country, people will perhaps go out of work if the birthrate_________.
A goes up
B is decreasing
C remains stable
D is out of control
本题考查的是考生对关键句子及整篇文章的把握。第二段指出，“A decreasing birth rate may lead to unemployment because it results in a declining market for manufactured goods．”这个题在文章中找不到直接的答案，必须通过间接的推理和排除。低出生率导致失业。所以选B。
9. According to the passage slowly rising birthrate perhaps is good for_________.
A a developed nation
B a developing nation
C every nation with a big population
D every nation with a small population
本题考查的是考生对文章细节的把握。第二段最后一句，“the government of a developed country may well prefer to see a slowly increasing population，rather than one which is stable or in decline发达国家政府更希望看到人口缓慢增长而不是……”可见，低增长的出生率更有利于发达国家。
10. It is no easy job to carry out a general plan for birth control throughout the world because_________.
A there are too many underdeveloped countries in the world
B underdeveloped countries have low level of industrial development
C different governments have different views about the problem
D even developed countries may have complex problems
本题考查的是考生对全文的整体理解。“One of the difficulties in carrying out a world-wide birth control program lies in the fact that official attitudes to population growth vary from country to country depending on the level of industrial development and the availability of food and raw materials．在世界范围实施总体的计划生育不是一个简单的工作”，原因在开头提到“态度……各国不同。”
Languages are remarkably complex and wonderfully complicated organs of culture. They contain the quickest and the most efficient means of communicating within their respective culture. To learn a foreign language is to learn another culture. In the words of a poet and philosopher, "As many languages as one speaks, so many lives one lives. " A culture and its language are as necessary as brain and body: while one is a part of the other, neither can function without the other. In learning a foreign language, the best beginning would be starting with the non—language elements of the language: its gestures, its body language, etc. Eye contact is extremely important in English. Direct eye contact leads to understanding, or, as the English saying goes, seeing eye-to-eye. We can never see eye-to-eye with a native speaker of English until we have learned to look directly into his eyes.
11. The best title for this passage is_________.
A Organs of Culture
B Brain and Body
C Looking into his eyes
D Language and Culture
本题考查的是考生对全文主旨的把握，此题要求选择题目(title)。一般来讲，题目要求简单精炼，能概括文章主题或中心(subject／theme)。英文文章讲求逻辑性，一般一段文字由主题句(topic sentence)和支撑句(supporting sentences)构成，且主题句多在段首。这段文字即为如此(又如Passage 2)：首句是主题句，概述语言和文化的关系，接下来的几句具体论述。从In learning起，基于语言和文化的关系谈论如何学好外语。因此选D。
12. According to this passage, the best way to learn a foreign language is
A to read the works of poets and philosophers_________.
B to find a native speaker and look directly into his eyes
C to begin by learning its body language
D to visit a country where you can study
本题考查的也是考生对具体细节的理解。此类题要求回溯原文，答案对应文章的第六句话：In learning a foreign language，the best beginning would be starting with the non-language elements of the language：its gestures，its body language，etc．从这句中得出答案C。
13. According to this passage, gestures are_________.
A spoken words
B a non-language element
C pictures in a language
D written language
14. As many languages as one speaks, so many lives means_________.
A if one learns many foreign languages, one will have a better understanding of his own language
B life is richer and more interesting if one knows several languages
C no matter how many languages one knows, one can never know more than one’s own culture
D if a person speaks only one language, he will live a very happy life
15. Which of the following doesn’t share the same meaning with the others?
D body language
Part II Vocabulary and Structure (30%) Directions: In this part, there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding lett
16. His wife had the front door painted green yesterday,_____ she?
17. With oil prices keeping______, people are hesitating whether to buy a car or not.
18. All the arrangements should have been completed prior________ our departure.
固定搭配。prior to在……之前。如：They’re planning to talk to Joe prior to the meeting．在我们离开之前，所有的事情都必须办好。
19. Pierre often makes himself_________ by gesturing with his hands.
A to understand
C to be understood
make oneself understood：使自己的意思被别人明白。本句的意思是：“他经常通过打手势让别人明白他的意思。”
20. ________is known to all, too much smoking will cause lung cancer.
as在此处做代词用，指代“too much smoking will cause lung cancer．”[译文]众所周知，过量吸烟将易得肺癌。
21. People appreciate_________ with him because he has a good sense of humor.
A to work
C to have worked
D have working
appreciate doing sth，为“欣赏，感激，很高兴干…”，这句话意思是：人们喜欢跟他一起工作，因为他幽默感很强。
22. The results of the survey are interesting and they_________ more questions than they can answer.
A bring about
D benefit from
本题考查动词辨析。bring about，引发，带来；prohibit禁止，阻止；project设计，投射；benefit from，从…中获益。题意为这个调查的结果引发了很多问题，有些问题调查者也无法回答，选A。
23. It was not until it got dark_________ working.
A that they stopped
B when they stopped
C did they stop
D that they didn’t stop
本题考查的是强调句型。It is not until…that是对not…until结构的强调，意思是直到什么时候才…。本句的意思是直到天黑他们才停止工作。
24. I suppose you are not serious, _________?
A do I
B don’t I
C are you
D aren’t you
25. Who can it be? I’’m quite_________ a loss to guess.
固定搭配，at a loss不知所措。
26. ________ the advice of his friends, he would not have suffered such a heavy loss in his business.
A If he took
B If he should take
C Were he to take
D Had he taken
27. The girl is not happy at the new school. She has________ friends there.
B a few
D quite a few
28. There was a large crowd in the square_________ against the war.
protest against：对某事提出抗议，固定搭配。本句的意思是：“广场上有大批人群正在抗议战争。”因此B最符合题意。Prevent sib from doing sth：阻止某人做某事protect…from：使……免受伤害。promote提升，提拔。
29. He abandoned a career that_________ to his becoming one of the most influential people in the world.
A could have led
B would lead
C should have led
D must lead
本题考查情态动词表示虚拟语气的用法。与过去事实相反，是could／should have done，本可能／本应该做…(但实际没这样做)。因为是客观情况，不涉及是否应该，所以选择A could have done．
30. In learning English we should not_________ our students of their mistakes all the time.
31. The little village hasn’’t changed much_________ a new road and two more stores.
C except that
D except for
32. The doctor advised her that she________ enough rest before going back to work.
A to get
33. Evidence came up_________ specific speech sounds are recognized by babies as young as 6 months old.
34. Mr. Smith, together with his wife and children,_________ going to the party this weekend.
此题考查主谓一致的用法。当主语后跟有with，along with，together with，besides，except，including，as well as，rather than等词时，谓语动词不受词组的影响，仅和第一个主语保持一致。本句的意思是：“史密斯先生和他的妻子和孩子周末去参加宴会。”因此B最符合题意。
35. _________at Harvard, he began to write his essay.
A Busy was as he
B Busy as was he
C Busy as he was
D As was he busy
本句考查让步状语从句的用法。as引导让步状语从句时，句子部分倒装。如：Young as he is，he knows a lot of things．虽然他年龄不大，可知道的事情很多。本句意思是：“虽然他在哈佛大学很忙，但他又开始写作了。”
36. If the wounded soldier had been given first_________, he would not have died.
37. The children looked up as the planes passed_________.
38. The little boy saw the plane_________ and burst into flames.
本题考查的是形近词辨析。Complete：完成，全部的；compel：强迫；crash：坠毁；clutch：攫住。See sth do：看到某物怎么样。根据题意应当是小男孩看到飞机坠毁，故选C．
39. He spent_________ collecting materials for his article.
A a half year
B half year
C half a year
D half of a year
本题考查的是‘一半’的说法：half a／an+名词，比如半小时：half an hour
40. The definition leaves_________ for disagreement.
A a small room
B much room
C great deal room
D not so big a room
41. A man is being questioned in relation to the______ murder.
42. Some people like drinking coffee, for it has_____ effects.
43. I’’m afraid that there isn’’t_________ for you in my car.
44. —"When are you going to visit your uncle in Chicago?" —"As soon as_____ our work for tomorrow. "
A we’re complete
B we’d complete
C we’ll complete
D we complete
时态用法。As soon as一……就……，其引导的从句中用一般现在时表将来，如：I’ll call you as soon as I get home．我一到家就给你打电话。[译文]你们准备何时去芝加哥看你叔叔?干完明天的活就走。
45. When there are small children around, it is necessary to put bottles of pills out of
短语辨析。out of hand无法控制，立刻，如：The boys have got quite out of hand．男孩子们变得无法控制。The situation needed to be dealt with out of hand．这情况需要立即处理。out of hold，并无此搭配。out of place不在合适的位置，不适当的，如：His clothes are quite out of place at a formal dinner．他的衣服不适合出席正式餐会。out of reach够不着，如：Keep chemicals out of the reach of children．把化学品放在孩子们够不着的地方。应选D。[译文]有小孩在时，应该把药瓶置于他们够不着的地方。
Part III Identification (10%) Directions: Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked A, B, C and D. Identify the one that is not correct. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the cente
46. (Look at) the beautiful (flowers) here ! (How) wonderful they (are smelling).
47. (Looking) from another (angle), the painting (would) show (something) different.
应改为looked at．画是被看，要用被动，而且是及物短语，故用looked at．而动名词表示主动。
48. We were young men (when) we (first met) in London, poor, (struggle), (full of) hope and ideas.
49. (At) school Li Ming ran (into) many problems, such as (choosing) classes and (to handle) his time.
50. (If) you (try to learn) too many things (at a time) you may get (confusing).
51. (As soon) as (we’’ve finished) supper, (we’’ll all) go (to) downtown to see the Sound of Music.
52. Mara Dona will (face) a possible prison term (if) (finding) guilty (on) the shooting charges.
应改为found，if(he was)found guilty，“被发现有罪”。
53. Nearly (three quarters of the surface) of the earth (are) covered with water, and (there) would be even less land (if) the polar icecaps were melt.
54. Today we (have made) (great achievements), but tomorrow we (shall win) still (great victories).
55. (Advertising) gives useful information about (which) (products) (to buying).
应改为to buy，which to buy是动词不定式的疑问式。
Part IV Cloze (10%) Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage, and for each blank there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D at the end of the passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fit into the passage. Then mark the correspondi
When I was 16 years old, I made my first visit to the United States it wasn’’t the first time I had been 【B1】 . Like most English children I learned French at school and I had often 【B2】 to France, I so I was used 【B3】 a foreign language to people who did not understand 【B4】 . But when I went to America I was really looking forward to 【B5】 a nice easy holiday without any 【B6】 problems.
How wrong I was ! the misunderstanding began at the airport. I was looking for a 【B7】 telephone to give my American friend Danny a 【B8】 and tell her I had arrived. A friendly old man saw me 【B9】 lost and asked 【B10】 he could help me. "Yes," I said, "I want to give my friend a ring." "Well, that’’s 【B11】 " he exclaimed. "Are you getting 【B12】 ? But aren’’t you a bit 【B13】 ?" "Who is talking about marriage?" I replied. "I 【B14】 want to give a ring to tell he I’’ve arrived. Can you tell me where there’’s a phone box?" "Oh!" he said," There’’s a phone downstairs."
When at last we 【B15】 meet up, Danny 【B16】 the misunderstandings to me. " Don’’t worry," she said to me . "I had so many 【B17】 at first. There are lots of words which the Americans 【B18】 differently in meaning from 【B19】 . You’’ll soon get used to 【B20】 things they say. Most of the time British and American people understand each other!"
应选完成时的状态。去过某地用have／had been to some place。
A to speak
B for speaking
C to speaking
D to speaking of
根据题意应该为习惯于说外语，用be used to doing的结构。
have a holiday为度假的固定短语．B选项为买，C为给，D为收到，与题意不符。
A to look
B looking like
D feeling like
根据文章内容应该是看上去的意思，同时see sb doing sth表状态。D为感觉像，与题意不符。
A to marry
C to be married
D just now
A us British
B British us
C us Britain
D we British
D all the
Part V Translation (20%) Section A Directions: In this part, there are five sentences which you should translate into Chinese. These sentences are all taken from the 3 passages you have just read in the part of Reading Comprehension. You can refer ba
76. Water is so low in the canals of northern France that waterway traffic is forbidden except on weekends.
77. If you have trouble falling asleep, some people recommend breathing very slowly and very deeply.
78. Our fossil fuel supplies are limited. Burning garbage might be one kind of energy source that we can use to help meet our energy needs.
79. By 1860, most of the machinery in use today had been designed in an early form.
80. By the year 2050, experts believe that the problems to explore the food, minerals and energy resources of the sea will have been largely solved.
答案:You’d better learn one more foreign language apart from English．
答案:He didn’t change his mind until last night．
答案:However，it’s still hard for thousands of young people to find jobs in that country．
答案:It is time for the meeting．Let’s turn off the radio．
答案:Don’t know where your strange idea has come from．